Monferrato & Lomellina: art, beauty and nature
5 DAYS / 4 NIGHTS
Did you know that Monferrato is twice UNESCO heritage site? First with the Sacred Mount of Crea which is part of the Sacred Mounts of Piedmont and Lombardy and, since 2014, it has also been part of what UNESCO has defined “vineyard landscape of Piedmont: Langhe-Roero and Monferrato”. This tour will allow the visitor to discover both: from the underground cathedrals of Canelli, to the Infernots of Cella Monte, walking among the chapels of the Sacred Mount to reach some of the best-known art villages between Piedmont and Lombardy: Volpedo, birthplace of the master of Divisionism Giuseppe Pellizza, Tortona, home to a large exhibition on Italian Divisionism and then Lomellina by bike between rural churches and rice fields.
• Arrival in Canelli, spumante-sparkling wine town, and guided tour of the “Underground Cathedrals”, kilometres of huge wine cellars still in operation, in the core of UNESCO ter- ritory. Transfer to Asti and tour of the histo- rical centre. Asti is known worldwide for its Palio, the oldest one in Italy, and for being the birthplace of the poet Vittorio Alfieri and Giovanni Pastrone, pioneer of the modern ci- nematografy.
• Check-in to a charming and stately accommo- dation facility not far from Casale Monferrato. • In the afternoon, independent visit to the Sanctuary of Crea and the park of Sacro Monte. • The Sacro Monte of Crea (The Sacred Moun- tain of Crea) in Serralunga di Crea, with the Sacri Monti (Sacred Mountains) of Piedmont and Lombardy, is a UNESCO world heritage site. It comprises the Sanctuary, 23 chapels, 5 hermitages and stands on a site of ancient Marian worship.
• It was built between 1589 and 1612, with an additional construction phase in the 1920s with the artistic contribution of great masters of sculpture.
• At the end of the visit, sinoira snack at the Grignolinoteca, a restaurant that serves excellent local cuisine and located right on the Sanctuary square.
• Dinner at leisure and overnight accommo- dation.
• Breakfast at the hotel and departure for Cella Monte with its infernot (underground wine cellars).
• The territory features wooded areas, vi- neyards and crop-growing areas. In 2014, Cella Monte attained UNESCO world heritage site status for the vineyard landscapes and the presence of Infernots. It is a small village on the hills of Casale Monferrato dating back to the 17th century that exudes the authentic spirit of the Monferrato tradition.
• Arrival in a family-run winery. Visit of the historic winery and its infernot with an in- depth explanation of local wines.
• At the end of the visit, wine tasting accom- panied by a selection of cold cuts.
• Lunch at leisure and transfer to Altavilla Monferrato.
• Visit one of the oldest distilleries of the area. The company has important historic ro- ots: the tradition of the distillers of Monfer- rato has been handed down for 7 generations and is now recognised as one of the most prestigious and awarded grappa companies both nationally and internationally.
• Dinner at leisure.
• Overnight accommodation.
• Breakfast and check-out.
• Departure for Volpedo and visit of the Ro- manesque church of San Pietro.
• The church was mentioned for the first time in a parchment of 965 stored in the Chapter archive of Tortona.
• Departure for Tortona and visit of the Divi- sionism art gallery.
It is the only museum dedicated entirely to Divisionism.
The figure of Giuseppe Pellizza da Volpedo (28.07.1868- 14.06.1097) is central.
• Arrival in Breme: a small medieval village situated on a hill of Lomellina at the meeting of the River Po and Sesia. Destination for nu- merous tourists who want to discover intere- sting historical monuments, but above all its natural features.
• Check-in to a farmhouse dating back to the late 19th century.
• Dinner at leisure and overnight accommo- dation.
• Breakfast in B&B.
• Bike rental and departure for the ring tour “pedalando nel Romanico”: Breme, Valle, Pie- ve di Velezzo, Lomello, Breme.
• During the tour lunch at an agriturismo, situated in a farmhouse dating to 1716. The family who have lived here for generations has handed on stories and traditions bearing witness to life in the farmyard. Through their stories and a small area showcasing vintage items you will be brought back to a world inhabited 300 years ago.
• Dinner at leisure and overnight accommo- dation in the Tenuta.
• Breakfast in B&B and check-out
• Guided tour to the Pila events.
• An ancient rice warehouse transformed into an unusual and charming environment where it is possible to admire the tools used to tran- sform coarse rice into white rice and an an- cient wooden ‘pila’. The rooms of the building host exhibitions dedicated to art, fashion and design, including the permanent exhibition on Ken Scott, a designer of the 60s and 70s.
• At the end, guided tour of Beccaria Castle. • 14th century castle, surely the oldest and lar- gest of lomellina. It takes its name from the enfeoffment of the Beccaria family. Over the centuries, it became the property of different families until it arrived to the Maccarini, who still live in some of the castle’s rooms. It re- mained uninhabited only during the fascist period and became the headquarters of the local fascists. There is still a room in the castle that recalls this historic period.
Price per person from:
€ 399,00 (groups of 2 pax)
The price includes:
• 2 overnight stays in a double room with breakfast in Casale
• 2 overnight stays in a double room with breakfast in Breme
• 1 sinoira snack at the Grignoliteca of Crea
• 1 visit and tasting session at winery in Cella Monte
• 1 visit and tasting session in distillery • Admission to Pieve di Volpedo
• Admission to Divisionism art gallery
• Bike rental
• 1 lunch in agriturismo (beverages included) • Guided tour of Pila Eventi
• Guided tour of Beccaria Castle
The price does not include:
• Transfers, tourist tax (if any), extras, per- sonal expenses and anything not listed under The estimate includes
• Medical baggage/insurance
• Cancellation insurance.
No, on request (with supplement)