Nature and flavours between the hills of Gavi and Liguria
5 DAYS / 4 NIGHTS
Everyone knows Gavi DOCG but not everyone may know that aside from the beauty of the magnificent vine covered hills which surround the small town of Gavi the surrounding areas are full of history and charming curiosities: a few kilometres from Gavi stands the archaeological town of the ancient Roman city of Libarna with remains of different layouts and urban infrastructure of the time which are still visible, celebrated also by the sweet bacio of Libarna. Not only Gavi DOCG, but tastings in the long-standing distilleries of Low Piedmont – passing by the big benches – and among the historical shops of Genoa. Have you ever heard of “vertical Genoa”?
• Late morning arrival in Silvano D’Orba by own means.
• Lunch at leisure.
• In the afternoon, unique tasting experien- ce at a Distillery: the guided tour includes a fascinating account of grappa, visit of the hi- storic Piedmont-style bain-marie distillation plant, the ageing cellar of the late 18th century and a guided tasting of four of the company’s top products.
• Dinner at leisure and overnight accommo- dation in agriturismo among the hills of Gavi.
• Breakfast in agriturismo.
• In the morning, guided tour of the archa- eological area of Roman Libarna, walking among its domus. Discover the charm and beauty of this ancient land, where history and nature offer a one-off experience and where the myth of Licurgo and Ambrosia lives on.
• Lunch at leisure.
• In the afternoon, experience in a real pastry shop with craftsman of taste Franco Carrea from Serravalle Scrivia to make the “Bacio di Libarna”, the delicious dessert dedicated to the archaeological area. Archaeologists call it “proto bacio” because considered to be the forefather of the bacio di dama; the main in- gredient is the hazelnut, present and widely used, together with other dried fruit, since antiquity.
• Dinner at leisure and overnight accommo- dation.
• Breakfast in agriturismo and check-out.
• The morning will be spent discovering the co- lourful “Big Benches” in the area. Two of these are in the small villages of Bosio and Mornese: from the big benches the eyes sweep over the magnificent vineyards of the hills of Gavi and, on clear days, the sight reaches as far as the snow-capped mountains of the Alps.
• Tasting of Piedmont wines at a Winery, a short distance from the magnificent medieval village of Gavi. The vineyards of the estate are surrounded by oak woods: walking among the rows of vineyards, you can experience the pe- ace of our hills. The native Cortese of Gavi and Barbera grapes are grown according to the biodynamic method, to give life to a genuine wine that reflects the climate, land and tra- dition of this area. The company is equipped with a welcoming tasting room where, in ad- dition to the Gavi DOCG and the Barbera Doc, you will taste excellent local typical products and vegetables of the garden.
• Transfer by own means to Genoa.
• In the early afternoon, guided tour of the shops that make the historic centre of the Ligurian capital unique. A dedalus of carug- gi (narrow streets) alternate with small and fascinating squares overlooked by the chur- ches connected to the most important noble families of Genoa. The guide will allow guests to discover the medieval lanes, noble streets, sumptuous palaces and sites of millenary charm, always accompanied by breathtaking views, scents and flavours from all over the world.
• Dinner at leisure.
• Overnight accommodation in B&B in the hi- storic centre of Genoa.
• Breakfast in B&B.
• Transfer by train to Rapallo.
• Short tour of the city and meeting with the chef Guido in front of his shop, to discover all the secrets of pesto.
Guido will organise his own “Pesto show” ac- companied by a good glass of white wine and with the “ever present” focaccia.
• Lunch at leisure.
• In the afternoon, independent visit of the city. • Return to Genoa by train.
• Dinner at leisure and overnight accommodation.
• Breakfast and check• out.
• Morning dedicated to the independent di- scovery of “vertical Genoa”: the Zecca-Righi funicular takes out of the city centre to rea- ch the highland in a few minutes. The rails of the small wagons climb along the tracks and, after a first part hidden in the tunnel, a view opens out among the buildings that climbs ever higher and allows to admire the city from above once arrived at the destination of Righi. You can return to the historic centre on foot following the famous Genoese creuze.
Price per person from:
€ 552,00 (groups of 2 pax)
The price includes:
• 2 overnight stays in a double room with breakfast in agriturismo among the hills of Gavi
• 2 overnight stays in a double room with breakfast in B&B in Genoa
• Visit and tasting in Distillery
• Guided tour of the archaeological area of Libarna Romana
• Pastry laboratory
• Wine tasting in Winery
• Guided tour of Genoa 21⁄2 hr “shop tour” • Transfer by train o/i Genoa - Rapallo
• Pesto show
• Funicular ticket (duration 100 minutes) outbound
The price does not include:
• Transfers, tourist tax (if any), extras, per- sonal expenses and anything not listed under The estimate includes
• Medical baggage/insurance
• Cancellation insurance