Chisone Valley, where civilisations meet
The Fenestrelle Fort and the sites of the Glorious Return
The Pinerolo are border lands, witnesses of the historical vicissitudes between France and Piemonte. Yet, they also witnessed the “division of souls” due to the presence of Waldensian communities in these lands, both in the centuries of their repression and in the growing dialogue sparked when this Protestant confession was granted freedom to worship. We visit two symbolic locations of this unrest that stimulated the local culture: the Fenestrelle fort, the “great Piedmontese wall” built by the House of Savoy to protect the border with France and the places of the Glorioso Rimpatrio dei Valdesi in Pragelato, retracing their steps towards home.
Departures in the morning from Pinerolo, Sestriere and Pragelato with the tour leader. Transfer to Fenestrelle (20 km), in the Valle Chisone, visit to the monumental military fort. Visit of the village of Fenestrelle and light lunch with tasting of typical products. Transfer to Allevé (15 km), in Pragelato. Trek to Joussaud (6 km) along the Glorioso Rimpatrio dei Valdes and Pattemouche (3 km). Return to the starting point. End of services.
Rates / Supplements
Price per person from:
€ 190,00 (groups of 6 pax)
€ 260,00 (groups of 4 pax)
The price includes:
The price includes:
• Tour leader (speaking Italian, English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Chinese) present during the entire period of the trip
• Transport by minivan (seating 7-9 people) to the locations indicated in the program. The minivan has a combustion engine. For a surcharge, participants may travel “green” with transport in an electric minivan. See the “Any Supplements” section for more information.
• Tickets: Fenestrelle (Forte di Fenestrelle, Chiesa di San Luigi) • “Light” lunch at a restaurant, agritourism, farm, with local products.
• Local taxes, VAT
The stages on foot are optional (minivans are available), without particular difficulties, require no specific experience but participants must be in good physical shape. They take place on secondary asphalted roads, dirt roads, easily passable trails.
Meditations and insights
Along the way there will be rest stops featuring meditations, led by Effatà Tour, taken from the writings of pastor Henry Arnaud, research by historians and the thoughts of Waldensian shepherds and authors. The “Glorioso Rimpatrio” (glorious return) becomes a chance to practice a path of spirituality and experience the hike as an interior journey. During the transfers, the Effatà Tour guide introduces and comments on readings of songs, music, audiovisual projections, helping the participants to appreciate artistic, historical, spiritual and cultural aspects of the “Glorioso Rimpatrio” and Waldensian Church, in the past and today.
The price does not include:
• Mandatory individual paperwork management fee: €25. Includes individual cost of handling paperwork and Axa insurance policy for medical expenses. Please contact Effatà Tour to consult the terms and conditions of insurance
• Travel cancellation insurance (optional). It is possible to take out a “Cancellation” insurance which allows you to cancel the trip. Please contact Effatà Tour to request a personalized cancellation insurance quote.
• Tips to drivers, local guides, restaurant / hotel service staff
• Drinks during meals, personal expenses in general
• Supplement for specific dietary needs: to be defined according to the participant's requests
• Tickets and excursions not in the program
• Procedures and fees for the entry visa (for participants from non-EU countries)
• Anything not indicated under “The price includes”
Green travel with eco-sustainable mobility
It is possible to use a reserved minivan with an electric motor during all scheduled transfers (for an extra charge. For 6 participants: €30 per participant. For 4 participants: €50 per participant)
Families, Groups, Individuals
Via Tre Denti 1
+39 0121 353452