The Via Francigena in the Susa Valley
Walking in the alpine landscape
Since the Middle Ages, the Via Francigena indicated several routes that entered Italy from the west, from France, towards Roma and the apostolic tombs. Currently there are two main ones, now rediscovered and used by pilgrims. One is the one followed by pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago or coming from Spain and the south of France: it crosses the Passo del Monginevro, goes through the Val di Susa and enters the Po valley. The other one is used by pilgrims coming from England, northern France and western Germany: after the Gran San Bernardo, it goes along the Valle d’Aosta and enters the Po Valley to join the path that arrives from Montgenèvre. During this one-day trip we travel a stretch of the Via Francigena that crosses Piemonte and in particular the Val di Susa: we walk along the ancient Sentiero dei Franchi immersed in the alpine landscape.
Departures in the morning from Torino and Susa with the tour leader of Effatà Tour. Transfer to Chiomonte (10 km), in Val di Susa. Visit: Cappella di Sant’Andrea (14th century). Walking along the Via Francigena to Susa (6 km). Light lunch with tasting of typical products. Tour of Susa (Arco di Augusto, Arena, Cattedrale di San Giusto). Visit: Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art. Return to the starting point. End of services.
Rates / Supplements
Price per person from:
€ 190,00 (groups of 6 pax)
€ 260,00 (groups of 4 pax)
The price includes:
The price includes:
• Tour leader (speaking Italian, English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Chinese) present during the entire period of the trip
• Transport by minivan (seating 7-9 people) to the locations indicated in the program. The minivan has a combustion engine. For a surcharge, participants may travel “green” with transport in an electric minivan. See the “Any Supplements” section for more information.
• Tickets: Chiomonte (Cappella di Sant'Andrea), Susa (Arco di Augusto, Roman Arena, Cattedrale di San Giusto, Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art)
• “Light” lunch at a restaurant, agritourism, farm, with local products.
• Local taxes, VAT
The stages on foot are optional (minivans are available), without particular difficulties, require no specific experience but participants must be in good physical shape. They take place on secondary asphalted roads, dirt roads, easily passable trails.
Meditations and insights
Along the way there will be rest stops enriched by meditations, organised by Effatà Tour, taken from the stories of pilgrims’ journeys, studies by historians and medieval documents. The “Via Francigena” becomes an opportunity to practice a path of spirituality and experience the hike as an interior journey
During the transfers, the Effatà Tour guide introduces and comments on passages read aloud, music, and audiovisual projections, helping participants to appreciate artistic, historical, spiritual and cultural aspects of the “Via Francigena” in Savoy and Val Susa
The price does not include:
• Mandatory individual paperwork management fee: €25. Includes individual cost of handling paperwork and Axa insurance policy for medical expenses. Please contact Effatà Tour to consult the terms and conditions of insurance
• Travel cancellation insurance (optional). It is possible to take out a “Cancellation” insurance which allows you to cancel the trip. Please contact Effatà Tour to request a personalized cancellation insurance quote.
• Tips to drivers, local guides, restaurant / hotel service staff
• Drinks during meals, personal expenses in general
• Supplement for specific dietary needs: to be defined according to the participant's requests
• Tickets and excursions not in the program
• Procedures and fees for the entry visa (for participants from non-EU countries)
• Anything not indicated under “The price includes”
Green travel with eco-sustainable mobility
It is possible to use a reserved minivan with an electric motor during all scheduled transfers (for an extra charge. For 6 participants: €30 per participant. For 4 participants: €50 per participant)
Families, Groups, Individuals
Via Tre Denti 1
+39 0121 353452