Valle Varaita Trek
Nature, silence, beauty
4 DAYS / 3 NIGHTS
The Varaita Valley extends for about 70 kilometres from Costigliole to Col Agnel, where it joins the French Queyras Valley.
The landscape is very varied: gentle slopes, green pastures, steep grasslands, vast deciduous forests, larch and stone pine forests. It is these thousand shades of green that make the valley "emerald". During this journey we come to Saluzzo, the heart of a lively marquisate in the medieval political scene, and going up towards Monviso, the King of Stone, we immerse ourselves in the nature and culture of the Varaita Valley. We arrive in Chianale to cross the border with France at the Col Agnel and connect, in Briançon, to the medieval paths between Roma and Santiago.
An itinerary for nourishing the soul with silence, for meditating at the rhythm of one's step on the paths of history, for breathing in the beauty around us.
Meeting with the tour leader at the Torino Porta Susa railway station, the capital of the Piemonte region. Transfer to Saluzzo (60 km), in the province of Cuneo. Check-in at the hotel and stroll in the historic centre. Dinner in a restaurant with traditional Piedmontese cuisine, return to the hotel and overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel. Guided tour of the Chiesa di san Giovanni (13th century) and Casa Cavassa (15th century). Transfer to Val Varaita, overlooked by the Monviso, towards Pontechianale (50 km). Light lunch with tasting of typical products of the valley. Walk in the Bosco dell'Alevè (8 km), one of the largest stone pine forests in Europe. Meditation in silence. Transfer to Chianale (7 km), check-in at the hotel, dinner in a restaurant with traditional dishes, and overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel. Walk from Chianale to Colle dell'Agnello (10 km), at 2,748 meters above sea level on the French-Italian border. Packed lunch with tasting of typical local products during the walk. Transfer to the French side to reach Briancon (80 km), an ancient fortified town located in the upper Valle della Durance. Check-in at the hotel. Dinner in a restaurant with traditional dishes, overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel. Stroll in the historic centre of Briancon. Walk (4 km) towards the Colle del Montgenèvre following the path of the Via Francigena / Camino de Santiago from Provence, in the south of France. Transfer to Cesana Torinese (21 km, with a stop in Montgenèvre along the way). Light lunch with tasting of typical Alpine products. Transfer (90 km) to the Porta Susa railway station in Torino. End of services.
Price per person from:
€ 1.340,00 (groups of 6 pax)
€ 1.760,00 (groups of 4 pax)
The price includes:
• Tour leader (speaking Italian, English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Chinese) present during the entire period of the trip
• Transport by minivan (seating 7-9 people) to the locations indicated in the program. The minivan has a combustion engine. For a surcharge, participants may travel “green” with transport in an electric minivan. See the “Any Supplements” section for more information.
• Admission to: Saluzzo (Chiesa San Giorgio, Casa Cavassa)
• Visit to Saluzzo with a local tour guide
• Walk in the Alevè wood with environmental hiking guide
• Accommodation in "boutique" hotels or accommodation facilities (agritourism, bed & breakfast, ...) selected from the main tourist guides (Michelin, Routard, Lonely Planet, Italian Touring Club, ...) and verified by Effatà Tour, in a central location, in twin bedded en suite rooms
• Full board from dinner on the 1st day to lunch on the last day. “Light” lunch at restaurants, agritourisms, farms, with local products. Packed lunch on the third day, prepared by a local agritourism with local products. Dinners in restaurants selected from the main tourist guides (Michelin, Routard, Lonely Planet, Italian Touring Club, ...) and verified by Effatà Tour, with seasonal menus promoting local products
• Local taxes and VAT
The stages on foot are optional (minivans are available), without particular difficulties, require no specific experience but participants must be in good physical shape. They take place on secondary asphalted roads, dirt roads, easily passable trails.
Meditations and insights
Along the way there will be rest stops enriched by meditations, led by Effatà Tour, based on stories, and studies by historians and naturalists. The “Val Varaita Trek” becomes an opportunity to practice a trail of spirituality and experience the journey as an inner journey.
During the transfers, the Effatà Tour guide introduces and comments on readings of passages, music and videos that help to grasp the artistic, historical, spiritual and cultural aspects of the “Val Varaita Trek”.
The price does not include:
• Mandatory individual fee for paperwork management: €60. Includes individual cost of handling the paperwork and Axa insurance policy for medical expenses. Please contact Effatà Tour to consult the terms and conditions of insurance
• Travel cancellation insurance (optional). It is possible to take out a “Cancellation” insurance which allows you to cancel the trip. Please contact Effatà Tour to request a personalized cancellation insurance quote.
• Tips to drivers, local guides, restaurant / hotel service staff
• Drinks during meals, personal expenses in general
• Supplement for specific dietary needs: to be defined according to the participant's requests
• Admission fees and excursions not indicated in the program
• Procedures and fees for the entry visa (for participants from non-EU countries)
• Anything not specifically indicated under “The price includes”
Single room surcharge: €240 per participant
Green travel with eco-sustainable mobility
It is possible to use a reserved minivan with an electric motor during all scheduled transfers (for an extra charge. For 6 participants: €160 per participant. For 4 participants: €210 per participant)
Families, Groups, Individuals